The WRP had a WID Committee AKA Decon Think Tank in 2014 which completed their work and was dissolved. This is a new committee focused on decontamination that was created by the Executive Committee in January 2018.
The Decontamination Think Tank Committee is chaired by Robert Walters of Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
- Create a forum for front line staff supervising and operating WIDS to communicate, share information, develop relationships and solve problems collectively, contributing to the overall knowledge base on decontamination and building leadership within AIS programs and the WRP.
- Develop standard specifications for trailered and skid-mounted AIS decontamination units for use at Watercraft Inspection and Decontamination (WID) Stations.
- Create an online forum for dialogue, information sharing and problem solving.
- Develop standard specifications for a new type of decontamination unit which is operated with hot water heaters and not pressure washers.
- Develop specifications for a mobile version of this system.
- Gather ideas (challenges and innovations) from WID stations and move them to either ABYC PTC or another appropriate venue for discussion.
- Brainstorm and test options to improve decontamination of ballast tanks from infested waters.